Around a decade ago, it was almost impossible to install a window in winter. Now there are special low-temperature mounting materials. However, stereotypes and prejudices remained.
In this article, we will talk about some of the nuances that you need to pay attention to when installing windows in the cold season.
1. Is It Possible to Install Windows in Cold Time?
Usually, the windows are changed when it is warm – in late spring or summer. If due to some circumstances, a replacement is needed in winter, then you should not worry.
Using the right materials, a professional window installation Ottawa team will carry out the top quality installation just as well as in the summer.
The most common question that arises is whether the heating pipes will burst because the opening will be free?
Two circumstances should be taken into account here:
- The opening does not remain open for long, maximum – an hour and a half. During this time, the temperature in the dwelling drops by about five degrees. This is equivalent to intensive ventilation.
- You can roughly determine which winter month in the region is the warmest. If time allows, plan the installation for this period.
2. Installation Requirements
Take into account several important nuances when installing windows in winter:
- Due to its design features, the PVC profile becomes brittle at temperatures below -18˚C. Drilling holes may cause cracks. Therefore, when carrying out work in a living room, it should be -15 °C outside, and -10 °C on a balcony.
- Before installation, the window structure is kept at room temperature for at least a day. If you install the frames immediately, then when the plastic warms up, it will simply deform in the opening.
- In severe frost, the sealing contours freeze. There is a possibility that the flaps will be incorrectly adjusted. Therefore, when it gets warmer, cracks and sagging will appear, and the fittings will not work well.
- The quality of the installation is affected by the temperature of the surfaces. Special polyurethane foam is preheated. The sealing strips must be fixed to the frames before dismantling the old window. All slopes are heated with special equipment. Foaming takes place in two stages: first from the outside, and then from the inside. This is the only way to achieve the filling of all voids.
- When several windows are changed at once, then in winter specialists do it in stages, one-by-one. This will keep the cold air flow at a minimum level. It is best to do the replacement when there is no wind. Another trick is to close all doors so as not to create drafts.
So, is it possible to install a plastic window in a cold period? Definitely yes.
When all technical requirements are met, and the right materials are used, the installation will be fast and reliable. Its quality will be visible immediately.