Sticky and oily grease or oil stain on your carpet is a serious problem that should be solved immediately. There are various causes why grease can stain your carpet. It may come from the furniture, working machinery, or even oily grease from the cooking activity.
Whatever the cause is, you need to learn how to get grease out of carpet before it gets worse and ruin your floor covering.
In this guide, you will find several effective methods to get rid of grease on the carpet using different cleaning agents. In addition to the household carpet, the methods can be applied to the carpet in your car interior.
This comes from the fact that oil stain or grease is likely to appear on the carpet which covers the interior of your four-wheeled vehicle as well.
Table of Contents
1. What can you use to clean grease from carpet?
Some cleaning agents can be used to clean grease from the carpet. Some common types of cleaning solution can do the work. These include dishwashing liquid, dry cleaning solvent, or some chemical products which are particularly intended for carpet cleaning. As an alternative method, you can use rubbing alcohol to deal with stubborn grease stain that is difficult to be cleaned.
Additionally, other substances that you can find easily in the kitchen will also come in handy. White vinegar, for instance, is useful for removing various kinds of stain on the carpet, including grease and oil stain.
It is followed by baking soda which can remove any oily stain without damaging your carpet. Cornstarch is helpful as well because it can absorb the stain from surfaces or fiber materials.
2. How to Remove Grease from Carpet Using Dishwashing Liquid
Dishwashing liquid is quite useful for removing grease from carpets. You can choose a mild type of liquid dish soap so that the chemical substance won’t damage the carpet fibers.
Before starting the cleaning process, make a solution by diluting a quarter cup of dishwashing liquid in one cup of warm water. Once the solution is ready, follow these steps to get rid of the grease.
- Dip a white cloth into the solution, and then use it to cover the stained area. Leave it for around five minutes.
- Blot the area using another clean cloth to remove the stain.
- Once the stain vanishes, put some paper towel on top of the area. Then, place a heavy object on the paper towel to help it absorb any remaining stain or solution.
- Leave it overnight for better and cleaner result.
3. How to Get Grease Out of Carpet Using Rubbing Alcohol
If you happen to have rubbing alcohol in the medicine cabinet, you might as well use it to remove grease stain on the carpet. Here is what you need to do for getting grease out of the carpet with rubbing alcohol.
- Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol to a clean cloth.
- Press the cloth onto the stained area. Blot it forcefully and thoroughly until the grease is cleaned. You may want to add more alcohol if the cloth is starting to dry.
- Once the stain is gone, let the carpet dry by taking it outside or vacuuming it.
- Remove any residue of alcohol by rinse the carpet with a small amount of water. Then, blot it using another clean cloth.
- Rubbing alcohol may leave a strong smell on the carpet, even after you finish the process. To get rid of it, you can put an electric fan near the carpet and open every window in the room.
4. How to Clean Grease on Carpet Using White Vinegar
White vinegar is known for its ability to clean a stain on surfaces. For better result, combine white vinegar with dishwashing liquid, glycerin, and water. Shake them well in a plastic bottle before using. Then, you can follow this instruction to remove grease from carpet using a white vinegar solution.
- Sponge the stained area with a small amount of water.
- Pour the solution into a pad or white cloth, and then place the pad on top the grease stain.
- Once the pad absorbs grease, it will become dirty gradually.
- Change the dirty pad if the stain is still visible. Repeat step 1 to 3 until grease is gone completely.
- Clean the carpet by rinsing it with warm water. Let it dry.
5. How to Get Rid of Grease on Carpet Using Baking Soda or Cornstarch
In this method, you can use baking soda or cornstarch. Both of them serve as an absorbent that can take away the grease from your carpet.
Because they are made from organic material, baking soda and cornstarch are very safe to use in the home environment. Follow these steps to complete the cleaning process:
- Sprinkle cornstarch or baking soda on the stained area. Make sure you cover all parts of the grease.
- Rub the powder to let it seep in the carpet fibers. You can use a brush or an old toothbrush so that you can prevent direct contact with the grease stain.
- Let it still for about 15 minutes. Then, vacuum the carpet to clean the powder.
- Squirt a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Rub the cleaning agent using a brush.
- Pour warm water into the stained area and blot it up immediately with a sponge.
- Depending on the stain condition, you can repeat the process in step 4 and 5 until the stain completely vanishes.
- Dry the carpet. You can vacuum it on bringing it outside to be dried under the sun.
The above guide on how to get grease out of carpet is expected to help you deal with greasy stain problem. Choose any cleaning agent that is considered the most suitable solution for you.
Regardless of cleaning agents you choose, be sure to clean grease stain on the carpet as soon as you notice the stain. By doing so, you will prevent the carpet from having a stubborn grease stain, or even worse: a permanent stain that can’t be removed because it has stayed on your carpet for too long.